Sunday, August 7, 2016

August 3rd - FLY FISHING with JAKE

Fly Fishing - Of course the only day to rain and be cloud cover was the day we had scheduled to Fly Fish.  But we made the best of it and all in all it was a most perfect day.  

Our Guide was a young man named Jake.  He was as personable as they come.  His easy going spirit was shaken just a little when Tammy told him " Hey Jake - this is a bucket list kind of thing here so I want to catch some fish".  That's all it took - he really worked with her and I think that made Tammy's confidence soar with the rod in her hands.
Captain Jake and our river craft,  I was in the front and Tammy was in the rear or is that Bow and Stern?  Yes I was a little reluctant to get my feet wet!  But what the heck I did a few minutes later.

We floated in a raft with Jake putting us on his best spots.  We had some really good hits and Jake suggested some different flies and some droppers as well.  Again had some great hits but it seemed that if you got one good hit off of a fly, the fish was no longer interested and you would have to change your game some.

Tammy had a really strong hit and I actually saw the fish it was large I would say 20 inches but the rod tip drop ever so slightly and he got off easy today.

Tammy and I kept trying and finally she had the magic!

A small one no doubt but still qualifies as a Western Slope Trout native to the area!  She was one happy girl.
Well for Jake the pressure was off now.  I kept getting bites here and there but just didn't have my mojo working for me.  It will be there one day and when it is ------BAM I'll land a big one!

The rain did affect the fishing but from a people standpoint, we were the only ones on the river that day.  We had lunch at Quarter Circle Bridge and proceeded one to the confluence of the North Fork and Middle Fork of the Flathead Rivers.

It was a blessed day!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment